Skin Care › Natural Skin Care Ingredients › Herbal Extracts
Herbal Extracts have been used in skin care cosmetics for thousands of years for their ability to soften, soothe, protect, stimulate and rejuvenate the skin. Vitamins, trace minerals, amino acids, and enzymes can be found in herbs, providing effective active ingredients for beautifying the complexion. Herbal extracts are made by extracting the properties of the herb with a solvent, usually water or alcohol, although glycerin and vinegar are also used. Many herbs are used in cosmetics.
- Arnica soothes skin irritation as it purifies and promotes healing
- Calendula cleanses, soothes and promotes healing. It also reduces inflammation and stimulates circulation.
- Chamomile reduces inflammation, soothes and accelerates healing. It softens the skin and promotes the regeneration of skin cells.
- Comfrey is used to soothe and heal because of its allantoin and carotene content. It also cleanses, moisturizes, reduces inflammation, and promotes the regeneration of cells. Comfrey has an astringent quality.
- Elderflower cleanses, reduces inflammation and acts as a mild astringent.
- Ginkgo biloba reduces inflammation and increases circulation and cellular activity. It is a powerful anti-oxidant.
- Ginseng tones, rejuvenates, balances and has anti oxidant qualities. It may also stimulate the formation of new cells.
- Green tea extract is used as an anti-inflammatory, anti-irritant and anti-oxidant.
- Horsetail is rich in silica, a mineral necessary for healthy skin and hair. It also has astringent properties and is toning to the skin.
- Lavender balances and promotes cellular regeneration and rapid healing. Nettle purifies and tones. It is rich in minerals and stimulates circulation.
- Peppermint purifies and has astringent qualities.
- Rose soothes and harmonizes the skin and is good for all skin types.
- Rosemary stimulates circulation, rejuvenates, and tones. It also has anti-septic and anti-oxidant properties.
- St. Johnswort is used to tone, strengthen, and heal. It has a calming quality.
- Witch Hazel acts as an astringent and reduces inflammation.
- Yarrow has slight astringent qualities and is toning to the skin.
Natural Skin Care Ingredients